I know I’m late to this party, but I have a theory about what Sarah Palin is up to. Take this test. Which of the following are not true of the soon-to-be ex-governor?
- She has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
- She believes she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- She’s preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- She requires excessive admiration
- She has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with her expectations
- She’s interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- She lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
- She is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of her
- She shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Well, maybe she’s empathetic. I’ll give her that. But you only need five of the nine to qualify for narcissistic personality disorder, according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, and I’d say she’s hands down on the other eight.
So she’s not going to fade off into the sunset over her Alaska lake with the quacking geese. Hey look, she says. Obama got elected after writing a book and making some speeches, and he had hardly any political experience, and anyway I governed a state that’s critical to our national security. I wasn’t just an Illinois pol, and also I’m superior and special, just like The One, and I deserve favorable treatment because now a black has become president but a woman never has.
Her fantasies need feeding.
Maybe a big shoe is about to drop on her in Alaska, but I don’t think so. She’s got all those bigger dead fish to fry.